Thursday, July 21, 2011

From technophile to luddite…

I used to be very cutting edge when it came to technology. I was an early adopter of many cool developments over the years… the Mac, the PalmPilot, email, the Web, TiVo… now I struggle just to set up a basic blog, something which every 6 year old seems to have. I feel like a luddite when I read the terms in the blogging software… it’s like another vocabulary. Seriously, WTF is a gravatar, widget, akismet, Tag Cloud and Vodpod? I just want to write, and publish it to a few people I know, without having to learn a new language… and now that I’ve said that, I officially feel old and curmudgeony.

If you’re reading this, I’ve figured out how to invite you to view this blog; a significant advancement. In addition to the technical challenges, I had to get over my bias regarding blogging… I have been known to mock blogging, wondering why so many people think that the world wants to know what flavor ice cream they think is best or what innane idea popped through their head that moment. Time for me to either eat humble pie (nut-safe, of course) or mock myself (I think I’ll do a bit of each) as I’m now turning to this medium as both a cathartic release and an efficient way of sharing what’s going on with our friends and family. You, after all, have heard and seen the other side… the machinations we go through to manage life with these allergies and the anxiety they bring with them… and so I want to provide you with a window into the optimism and the ups and downs we’ll face in this next stage.

More on who we’re talking to and what they’re saying, soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment