Wednesday, October 31, 2012

May the force be with you


I am not a fan of the rain, and being out in it is something I actively avoid. Tonight, however, I gladly put on my Princess Leia costume (we do family theme costumes each year), tightened up the belts and boots on my fellow Star Wars characters, and took the kids trick or treating, in the rain, so that they didn’t miss their first uninhibited Halloween. No more fears of touching or accidentally eating unsafe candy; the only fear tonight for us was stepping on Aviv’s long, soaking wet Darth Vader cape. The kids felt free to accept any candy they were given, and when we came home, they engaged – for the first time - in the age-old tradition of pouring out all of their candy on the counter and touching, sorting, tasting, discussing and reveling in the sheer, innocent, childhood-ness of it all together. Ignoring the sugary artificialness of it all, it was a beautiful sight to see, and I found myself stepping back, watching them, and smiling. Hard to believe that only one short year ago, Halloween was still – like birthday parties and unannounced treats at school – an anxiety inducing event. No more, young Jedi; no more.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! I'm so happy for you and your children. Seems like a miracle. Are you still pinching yourself? My almost 5 year old son will be starting peanut OIT in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your warm support! I'm glad you enjoy reading the blog.
      I'm so excited for you that your son will start OIT! Congratulations! Where?

      Delete
    2. Just now seeing this reply. I don't know how I missed it. I see you found my blog so you have probably already found the answer to your question. We are doing peanut OIT w/Dr. Scott Nash in Raleigh, NC. He worked in the Duke peanut and milk OIT studies and is now in private practice offering OIT. Thanks for being multiple allergen OIT pioneers! At the rate of one allergen every two years (using the Duke protocol), it would take us a very long time to rid my son of all his allergies. The study you are participating in is so important. Especially for those that must manage multiple food allergies. You and your children are such an inspiration!

      Delete