Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thank you, New York Times!


I’m thrilled to share that this week’s New York Times Magazine features the Stanford Alliance for Food Allergy Research (SAFAR) as its cover story, providing much needed visibility and insight into the amazing work that Dr. Nadeau is tirelessly doing, and the lives - including ours - that she is helping to change. Coming together for this story photo with many of the trailblazing children whose lives have been improved through Dr. Nadeau's research was awe inspiring, knowing how different all of their lives were a few years ago.

To those of you who have food allergic children, I know you’re going to cry while reading the article, as I did, because it is so real and hits so close to home, and because it so eloquently captures the emotions of fear (and now hope!) that we’ve all had.  As you read and well up, know that I feel your tears, and I know your moments… the moments of turning away so that your child doesn’t see you cry after you’ve narrowly averted a near fatal encounter with a cross-contaminated bite of food… the moments where you are mama grizzly, standing up for your child’s right to a safe environment where he can read a library book and go to school without fear… the moments of driving at breakneck speed to get to the hospital because your child is having a reaction. I know those moments because I’ve lived them too, and though the rawness of the accompanying emotions are a bit more distant for me, this article brought them all back. What makes me grateful and hopeful beyond words is that Dr. Nadeau’s work is getting us all closer to a time where those emotions can be distant for all of us.
A&A with Dr. Nadeau and photographer Art Streiber at the photo shoot

No comments:

Post a Comment