Monday, March 12, 2012

Very blessed, and very nervous

We feel incredibly blessed. We have received many emails and good wishes today from those around us – our doctors, teachers, and friends - and I can’t tell you how grateful we are and how supported we feel in this next stage of the journey. This has been especially helpful in offsetting the nervous energy that is palpable at our house tonight. Both boys were antsy and wanted to talk at bedtime about their fears… fear of the shot, fear of the nuts. An hour after bedtime, Aviv is still tossing and turning. I tried to refocus him on a tangible light at the end of the tunnel and reminded him that we’ll be able to go into any bakery or store where he can pick out anything he wants to eat, any time. He got a big smile on his face, and then said, “But only if it’s ok to have a dessert, right?” I laughed at his never ending ability to identify loop holes. He continued, “...and only after I ask them if it has anything else I’m allergic to.” I explained that once he graduates from the study, there won’t be anything else that he’s allergic to. He reminded me that he still has environmental allergies (grass, pollen, cats, dogs, etc.), and then agreed that there wouldn’t be any of those in food products, before stopping to absorb what I was saying. I could almost hear the wheels turning in his head, trying to process the fact that he really would be able to eat anything, without fear. Finally, there is quiet in his room, and in our house, as the same wheels are turning for each of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment