Saturday, August 6, 2011

The hour and 15 minutes that changed our lives


I’m so tired from processing information and emotion, that I really just want to go to sleep. I know some of you are waiting to hear how today went, though, and I don’t want to keep you waiting, so just a short update:  
It was an amazing appointment. Dr. Nadeau is an amazing person. Her intelligence, compassion, dedication to advancement in the area of food allergies was all palpable. When we got home today, I asked the kids what they thought of Dr. Nadeau. Aviv, without missing a beat, said, “She’s one of the best doctors I’ve ever had!” Ari jumped right in with, “She IS the best doctor!” Clearly, she made as big a fans out of A&A as she did out of Orr and me. So what did she say and do, and more importantly, what does our future look like? To cut to the chase: she will be conducting 3 food allergy studies (including two that can desensitize for tree nuts!) starting in October (pending approval from Stanford’s internal review board, or IRB) that A&A are eligible for, and – while there are definitely no guarantees at this point – it sounded very promising that they could be included in any of those studies. That news – that A&A could be in desensitization studies for all of their food allergies, close to home, with an amazing practitioner, as soon as October - is so amazing, I’m having trouble believing it, even as I type it.
I’m really too exhausted (from the anxiety before the appointment, then the surreal optimism/processing after it) to detail the studies right now, but will in the next few days.
Thank you for your calls and emails of support. If we move forward with this, we’ll need lots more! It takes a village…

No comments:

Post a Comment