Monday, August 1, 2011

Results!!

I wondered last night whether my appeal to Heather's heart strings would help, and apparently it did (or at least didn't hurt!)... instead of waiting months and months for an appointment with Dr. Nadeau, we heard from Heather today that Dr. Nadeau agreed to squeeze us in this Friday!! This is amazing, and I'm in a fog; it feels surreal. I'm both exited and nervous, and have no idea what (if anything) to tell the kids about the appointment. They're smart and good listeners, so they'll hear us asking questions. As big and hard to grasp as the idea of treatment was for Orr and I, I can only imagine how confusing (and emotional) it might be for the boys, so we need to think carefully about what to say to them. The mom I spoke with last week (whose son did the treatment a few years ago) told me that she didn't tell him that he was ingesting nuts during the study; she just told him it was medicine to help him fight his allergy, as it's hard for kids to make sense of why they MUST eat nuts in the treatment dosage, but need to keep up their standard nut-free restrictions outside of that (until the whole treatment course is finished).

We know very little right now about the studies that Dr. Nadeau has right now; we'll find out everything on Friday. We know that it's a study/trial, and not straight treatment (as the Dallas, Portland and Tel Aviv clinics are). What that means is that she must follow a strict protocol, and that some participants will be given placebos, I'm imagining. But it's here - local - which means we wouldn't have to move or fly weekly, and it has the backing and credentials of Stanford. I'm trying not to let myself get too excited yet, as the crash-and-burn feeling (if it's not the right fit for the boys), from having such an important hope crushed, can feel so devastating. Please think good thoughts for us on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment