Monday, August 1, 2011

Results or TRO?

Results or TRO? Only time will tell...  I just sent an email that runs the risk of alienating someone very important - Heather, the study assistant (aka gatekeeper) to the Stanford food allergy study with Dr. Nadeau. She could find it hokey or annoying, or it could endear her to us, and make us feel real and personal... like people she wants to help find a space for. Hopefully the latter...

I had emailed her to get an appointment last Friday, and heard back tonight. She seems very pleasant, but told me that a screening visit is the first step to being considered for the research study, and that there aren't any available for several months. I don't want to wait several months. It's like the scene from When Harry met Sally, when Billy Crystal says that when you realize who you want to spend the rest of your life with, you want it to start right now. Now that I know that (1) there is a treatment protocol which is proving to be successful, and (2) there is a research study happening now at Stanford, with space available... I want it to start right now. I want to start my kids on the journey that will take a long time and be tough now, because at the other end of that journey is a safer, happier life. What mother doesn't want that for her kids?

So yes, I sent Heather an email with the story I blogged about yesterday - about Ari saying for his 5th birthday that what he wished for, was to not have his nut allergy, and that as a mom, I just want to see them both safe. Hopefully she won't find it too hokey; it really was from the heart.

Orr will call her tomorrow (while I'll be traveling for work) to get more information about the study... are they really doing tree nuts? How long will the study take? Are they doing more than one nut at a time? Are there really spaces available? What is the process?  I'm getting picked up to head to the airport in 4 hours, but I can't go to sleep right now as my head is spinning. Each day we get new, important information, and it's all bringing us closer. To sweet dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment